tom aurnhammer's

Fire Photography

On June 17th, 2008 at approximately 14:00 hours the Durango Fire and Rescue Authority (DFRA) was dispatched to a report of a barn fire in the area of the intersection of Highways 172 and 160. First arriving units were faced with a fully involved shed and fire rapidly spreading to a one-story house. Both of the buildings were vacant. Engine Two dropped a large diameter supply line at the entrance of a long driveway as they approached the involved structures.

Engine One tied into the supply line and deployed two drop tanks to begin tanker shuttle operations. Captain Scott Lauder put Tankers Seven, One, and Engine Seven to work in the water supply operation. At the fireground, Captain Jeff Harris and his crew were making ready for a defensive fire attack. Battalion Chief Rod Allen took command of the incident, assisted by Chief of Department Dan Noonan.

 photo DFRA061708_001.jpg  photo DFRA061708_002.jpg  photo DFRA061708_003.jpg  photo DFRA061708_004.jpg  photo DFRA061708_005.jpg  photo DFRA061708_006.jpg  photo DFRA061708_007.jpg  photo DFRA061708_008.jpg  photo DFRA061708_009.jpg  photo DFRA061708_010.jpg  photo DFRA061708_011.jpg  photo DFRA061708_012.jpg  photo DFRA061708_013.jpg  photo DFRA061708_014.jpg  photo DFRA061708_015.jpg  photo DFRA061708_016.jpg  photo DFRA061708_017.jpg  photo DFRA061708_018.jpg  photo DFRA061708_019.jpg  photo DFRA061708_020.jpg  photo DFRA061708_021.jpg  photo DFRA061708_022.jpg  photo DFRA061708_023.jpg  photo DFRA061708_024.jpg  photo DFRA061708_025.jpg  photo DFRA061708_026.jpg  photo DFRA061708_027.jpg  photo DFRA061708_028.jpg  photo DFRA061708_029.jpg  photo DFRA061708_030.jpg  photo DFRA061708_031.jpg  photo DFRA061708_032.jpg  photo DFRA061708_033.jpg  photo DFRA061708_034.jpg  photo DFRA061708_035.jpg  photo DFRA061708_036.jpg  photo DFRA061708_037.jpg  photo DFRA061708_038.jpg  photo DFRA061708_039.jpg  photo DFRA061708_040.jpg  photo DFRA061708_041.jpg  photo DFRA061708_042.jpg  photo DFRA061708_043.jpg  photo DFRA061708_044.jpg  photo DFRA061708_045.jpg  photo DFRA061708_046.jpg  photo DFRA061708_047.jpg  photo DFRA061708_048.jpg  photo DFRA061708_049.jpg  photo DFRA061708_050.jpg  photo DFRA061708_051.jpg  photo DFRA061708_052.jpg  photo DFRA061708_053.jpg  photo DFRA061708_054.jpg  photo DFRA061708_055.jpg  photo DFRA061708_056.jpg  photo DFRA061708_057.jpg  photo DFRA061708_058.jpg  photo DFRA061708_059.jpg  photo DFRA061708_060.jpg  photo DFRA061708_061.jpg  photo DFRA061708_062.jpg  photo DFRA061708_063.jpg  photo DFRA061708_064.jpg  photo DFRA061708_065.jpg  photo DFRA061708_066.jpg  photo DFRA061708_067.jpg  photo DFRA061708_068.jpg  photo DFRA061708_069.jpg  photo DFRA061708_070.jpg  photo DFRA061708_071.jpg  photo DFRA061708_072.jpg  photo DFRA061708_073.jpg  photo DFRA061708_074.jpg  photo DFRA061708_075.jpg  photo DFRA061708_076.jpg  photo DFRA061708_077.jpg  photo DFRA061708_078.jpg  photo DFRA061708_079.jpg  photo DFRA061708_080.jpg  photo DFRA061708_081.jpg  photo DFRA061708_082.jpg  photo DFRA061708_083.jpg  photo DFRA061708_084.jpg

Durango, CO - Highway 160 & Highway 172

June 17th, 2008 at 1400 hours

Two attack lines (a 2 ½” and 1 ¾”) were deployed off of Engine Two. Firefighter also had to deal with a brush pile that had also ignited, just east of the burning buildings. As additional firefighters arrived at the scene they were assigned to augment the personnel making the fire attack. Aside from the large volume of fire, crews had to contend with 91° F temperatures and wind gusts of approximately 15 miles-per-hour.

Engine Two’s Class “A” foam system was also used to assist with fire extinguishment. The combined efforts of the water supply and fire attack operations brought the fire under control in about 90 minutes. Firefighters spent the remainder of the afternoon mopping-up. The cause of the fire is under investigation by the DFRA Fire Marshal’s Office.